Cushings Horse and Chaste Tree Berry

by Elizabeth, Shirley and Wendy

I ordered the Chaste berry powder for my mare with Cushings disease. I own a quarter horse mare that is close to 1200 lbs. I started with one teaspoon a day, and finally decided it was too small a dose. I switched to two level teaspoons a day, and her hair is shedding beautifully.

Thank you for offering a natural alternative to a horrible disease that can only be treated for comfort because there is not a cure. Your package arrived very quickly and in good order.

Thank you!
Debra

Thank you for providing me with a inexpensive source for Chaste Tree berries. I will be continuing to order this product from you for my horse that has Cushings disease. I was wondering if anyone else had ordered this product for Cushings, and whether it has helped. Also, do you know of any other herbs that may help this? The disease affects the pituitary gland. Thank you again!

~Sister in Christ,
Rebecca

Treating a Cushings horse is not fun! Any help is always a good thing!

What I have been doing is grinding 3 teaspoons of the Chaste Tree berries in a coffee grinder (just used for this purpose!) and putting it on top of her evening grain. She is roughly 1000 lbs., so depending on the weight of the horse, I would adjust the amount of Chaste Tree berries accordingly. I use approx. a pound a month (30 days). I originally bought 5 lbs. and keep it in the refrigerator. This has all been OK’ed by my veterinarian too.

There is a website of a woman who has done this with great success for her horses. This is how I decided to try it. So far so good. My horse looks great and eats the Chaste Tree berries with no problem.

21 Responses

1. Joyce Nesselhauf March 26, 2013 at 8:01 pm · Reply

I have a 24 y/o horse that was diagnosed about 6 months ago with Cushings. He has abeen on Pergolide. I would like to start giving him the Chaste Berries, but I would like to know of anyone else who is/was using Pergolide: Did you eventually take your horse off of it completely? Did you start the transition by giving the Chaste Berry supplement every other day in place of the Pergolide for maybe a week and then every two days? I would appreciate any help!
    Thank you!
    Joyce N.

1. Fitz May 26, 2013 at 3:34 pm · Reply

Joyce,
      I have a mare with Cushing sindrome and when I found out about it, the first thing was to get Pergolide but then I hit the internet to find an alternative and I found chaste three berry and I started given her about two teaspoon a day and after about a month I started to see positive results. My recommendation to you is get rid of Pergolide, there is nothing good about such medication, I believe that one of the side effects is that it will damage the liver and you are paying a really high cost for it.
      chaste tree berry did the job and she’s been on chaste tree berry for the last 8 years and all the classic signs of Cushing are gone. Her weight is normal, she sheds normally and no more lameness ever again. One more thing Pergolide didn’t do the right job as expected.
      Good luck and I wish your horse the best.
      Fitz

1. Paulette costigan May 29, 2013 at 12:34 pm ·

Did you have to wean the horse off the pergolide, or just took off and started the chaste berry?

2. Karen Douglass June 4, 2013 at 9:29 pm · Reply

Where can I buy the Chasteberry powder in 5lb quantity?

1. Joy
        Joy June 4, 2013 at 11:51 pm ·

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the question! We carry the Chaste Tree Berry Powder in the 5 lb quantity on our website. Just click through to this link: http://www.morethanalive.com/Chaste-Tree-Berry-Powder.

2. Paulette Costigan May 23, 2013 at 10:05 am · Reply

morning Joyce, can you tell me if anyone answered your question? I’m going through same thing and not sure how to do it. My horse sassy is on the pergolide also. thanks paulette

3. Beth July 30, 2013 at 8:25 pm · Reply

I wanted to tell people about using Chasteberry (I use the liquid form).
    I have now been using on my 18 and 25 year old TBs. Both presented cushings, one presenting with loss of muscle mass. After speaking with my vet, he also indicated that I could test, but the test were not conclusive, keep using the Chasteberry and determine if use and further medications would be based on results.
    Well, I am happy to say after 3 months of 2oz per day for each horse, both look great. The 18 year old has his muscle mass restored, no more pot belly or fat patches and has completly shed his coat and has dapples. The 25 year old has begun to gain weight and his coat is much approved, and he too has improved muscle mass. I have not treated with Pergolide, and don’t see the need at this point. I am so glad I read the blogs about Chasteberry.

4. Elaine August 7, 2013 at 2:33 pm · Reply

Can you use Chaste Berry for dogs with Cushing’s?

5. Lory Clore August 7, 2013 at 3:53 pm · Reply

Hi,
    My Name is Lory I am a 58 year old lady that had my Araben Gelding for 32 years before he passed of old age .
    Missing Him ,I got a 15 yr old Rocky Mountain Mare Precious about a year and a half ago . I did not see her until she came to me. Her coat was shaven and she had fatty,crusty deposits under her mane and she was terribly over weight ..She was also lame on her two front feet.
    My vet came out and sure enough Precious has Cushings Disease.
    I researched for weeks for an alternative Medicine for her treat her. I found that Chaste berries had good results..
    I have been giving her the liquid formula 2 ounces a day Morning and night 3 weeks on and I week off since. She has come around after 6 mos she was not lame anymore Her coat shines and she has more energy then the two other horses that we trail ride with.
    I get more compliments with Precious then ever thought of..
    I also add M.S.M and flax ,Tripple crown low sodium,and Orchard hay to her diet..I treet he like a diabetic..no sugar,carrots ,molasses, or sweets..
    I would not trade my girl for any other horse out there..She is Amazing and well worth the effort
    Thanks !

1. Joy
      Joy August 7, 2013 at 5:09 pm · Reply

Hi Lory,
      Thanks so much for sharing your story with us, we love to hear the testimonies of success! :-)

1. Sophie January 29, 2014 at 12:17 pm ·

Hi I have a 23 year old welsh B cross who has cushings what’s the best form to try liquid or powder form as he is currently on meds from vet for it but wanted to try help him in other forms?

6. Tammy August 8, 2013 at 12:59 am · Reply

I took my 22 year old gelding off Pergolide about 5 weeks ago and began giving him one rounded teaspoon of chastberry twice a day. I was very happy to see that his water intake did not increase and he started shedding his long hair almost immediately.

But now the shedding has gone too far and he is developing patches of bare skin and seems itchy all the time! Has anybody else experienced this?

7. Lory Clore August 8, 2013 at 2:41 am · Reply

It was because of these sites like yours that I was able to make a good decision in regards to caring for her (Precious) I see improvement in her weekly
    I suffer from lupus and Scoliosis so I can relate
    to my Horse. She is very forgiving and seems to
    know when I am at a down time..still ride 2 to 3 days a week..

8. ann August 19, 2013 at 12:30 am · Reply

I have a mini that has been on pergolide for 5 months as well as a diet of 2 leafs of soaked hay a day and no grain. He has lost about 60 lbs and looks great.I’m about to switch to the chaste berry and not sure how much to give. He’s about 225 – 250 lbs

9. Barbara September 4, 2013 at 9:18 pm · Reply

I have been TRYING to feed my Arabian Gelding the Chaste Berry powder but he refuses to eat it. Tried mixing it, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do??

The horse is at a boarding facility, so options are somewhat limited.

10. kelly October 15, 2013 at 12:13 am · Reply

When my horses won’t eat an “additive” to their feed, I just wet down their hay and put it on that. They are really good at knocking off dust, so I am really good at getting the stems wet and making sure the product sticks! I have a mare that won’t even eat sweet feeds and this method works for her. She hates psylium, but the wet hay with it stuck to it works like a charm. We feed alfalfa and they don’t even bat an eyelash. You could maybe try doing that. I am going to try the berries on my gelding. Course, he eats almost anything, but if it works, I may use it on my mares. So, I will of course use the ” wet hay method “. It’s worth a try anyway.

11. Becky October 15, 2013 at 1:40 pm · Reply

I grind the berries as others are doing and mix it in some applesauce, just enough to absorb the berries, then add it to the feed and he eats it up nice.

12. Sheila October 15, 2013 at 2:40 pm · Reply

Hi, I also would like to know if I can feed 2 teaspoons at once as my horse’s main meal is in the evening. She is 25 and I have had her since she was 3. I would like to be sure I will not cause her any harm with this but it sounds like a great thing! She was on cypraheptadine but when I moved to NC the vet here said she did NOT have Cushing’s so she has not been on anything for several years. I DO believe she has Cushing’s or something ELSE that has the same exact symptoms: lethargy, heavy hair coat that won’t shed and some muscle wasting. My vet saw her last year for her checkup and suggested rice bran and that has been wonderful for her; it keeps her weight and energy up. I feed beet pulp (soaked at least 2-3 hours), maintenance pellets and rice bran with CRS Gold digestive probiotics and Cortaflx HA 100. All I have is grass hay but she gets all she wants. Sorry for the lengthy question but I would really appreciate any information on how to dose the powder. 3 weeks on, 1 week off also? Thanks so much, I bought the powder after reading this website! Sheila

13. pat robinson October 16, 2013 at 3:20 am · Reply

I have dose my mare with a tablespoon of chaste berry once per day for several months. 3 weeks on and one off. She seems to have gotten the good benefits with no ill effects. I have a hard time feeding consistently twice a day as mine run free on 100 acres. The once a day seems to work.

14. Lorri H March 9, 2014 at 10:25 pm · Reply

My 20 year old arab mare tested neg for Cushings last December – however I am seriously questioning the results – she has never had this much winter coat – her haircoat started getting long already in Aug 2013 ….Can Someone Help to Answer this Question: After waiting until well in Spring – if I do not see results in shedding – and I want to give her Chasteberry – is there a bad side to feeding Chasteberry if she is not cushings? Thanks for your help!

15. Shauna July 12, 2014 at 7:49 pm · Reply

I am going to give this a try. I have the whole berries and I will grind them as described. Are these suggested dosages of the whole berry or the ground product?